Friday, May 14, 2021

2021 Update

 

Happy New Year! This is a year of  change and growth.  It is a time when what we have believed would be has and is being challenged.  As the song says, “I know whom I have believed in and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I've committed unto Him against that day!”  Someone asked me “What can a missionary do in these pandemic times?” Like many countries we were commanded to stay in our homes.  There is a running message on the cell phone that says, “Quedate en casa”  (Stay in your house).  So what has this missionary been doing this past year?  Accepting the challenge to ask God what is His purpose for me in my life and, who will I be on the other side of this pandemic.  Will I be ready to do His will His way or will I keep  on doing what seems good to me my way?  Sooo.... I have spent a lot of time talking with God to see how He would have me serve Him as we enter the “New Norm.”  Here is what you and I have been doing during this past year.

 

It started off with a major surgery on the last day that Colombia declared no more surgeries because of the pandemic.  The surgery went well and I was released 3 days later to recover in my home.  15 days later the nurses were sent to my home to do follow-up and take out the stitches.  Praise God all went well! God blessed me with my downstairs neighbors who made sure my needs were met and my bills were paid. We became family.

 

From March through July, I was in recovery and like all of Colombia in quarantine.  I was allowed to be out on the streets 2 days of the week according to the last number of my Government issued I.D. Card and gender.  One always says, “If I had more time I would....” So, I took advantage of the time in house to pray, attend Zoom meetings and 2 mission conferences (NAAMC in Maryland with Christ Kingdom Church and The Peoples Community Baptist Church). Both of these really blessed me. I also taught myself piano and spent time worshiping on violin and clarinet.  I focused on getting out of debt since I did not need to spend money on gas for my motor scooter, my electric bill was much lower, and I found that I could do without many of the daily cost that tend to attract our attention when we are “out and about.”

 

In July, the National African American Mission Conference (NAAMC) had a special surprise for me.   Many people here in Leticia Colombia lost jobs and were without food. They would put out a red cloth outside their home if they were in need, and people would respond to their needs.  I desired to be a part but could not go out because of the government restrictions on my age and quarantine rules.  BUT GOD!!!  As a last minute decision, I filled out an application for the George Liele Scholarship given out by the Ambassador Fellowship Mission Agency through the NAAMC Mission Conference for long-term missionaries. I WON!!!!  God allowed me to use the $2000.00 dollars awarded to me to pay on the debt accrued by travel expenses while in the States visiting churches, groceries for the families in need and the radio broadcast that has been an encouragement all over this region of the Amazon during this pandemic.  Because the exchange rate between the US Dollar and the Colombian Peso has been over 3.000/1.00 USD, through your prayers and giving we have been able to help many.  HALLELUIAH!!!

 

At the end of the year I became sick with COVID19.  But, God's plans and purposes for me here in the Amazon are not yet done.  I experienced a “bad cold” and a small lung infection that God healed and 3 weeks later I was back to teaching my discipleship and music classes.  The airports and borders have been closed down here in Leticia.  Everyone has to receive the vaccine in order to travel.  It does not look like I will be coming to the States until 2022 Lord willing.  Please keep me in your prayers.

 

LOOKING AHEAD

God is moving in the Yagua community! He is resurrecting the vision that He gave me from the beginning.  More to come about this in the next newsletter.  Please be in prayer for me as I seek His will in this re-connection. 

I have accepted a position at the church where I am serving as the Music Coordinator.  I will be working under a wonderfully anointed music director who is also helping me to improve on the piano and still worshiping with the clarinet and violin.  I am challenged but blessed! This is also the year to renew my visa and become a permanent resident of Colombia.  I do not know how the process will go but,  I am praying for a smooth transition.

 

Thank you for all the prayers and financial support of the ministry here in Leticia.  We (meaning you and I) have been able to do so much good during this pandemic.  Sad things happen because we live in a fallen world but, I am very confident that God is still in control and His will will be done on this earth as it is in heaven.

 

Adventuring with Christ,

Min. Orchidy T Boyd

Exec. Dir. AFAMMS

PS: If you are friends with me on Facebook, feel free to check out some of the recent events and videos.

 

 

African American Mobilization Services

Min. Orchidy T. Boyd— AFAMMS— PO Box 39803 – Redford, MI   48239-0803

PayPal address: safricanamericanmobilization@yahoo.com

E-mail: orchi41@gmail.com  Website: http://afamms.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment