Sunday, December 24, 2017

Year in Review



Here we are once again in the Holiday season.  Many are busy cooking, shopping, visiting and partying.  While others are just wondering how to finish out the year struggling with the situations that life has brought to them here in this world.
As I take time to reflect on this past year, my heart rejoices.  Many of you know that this has been a year of challenge for me in many different areas.  I started out with the physical challenge of adjusting to an artificial knee replacement in my left leg.  I was excited about the family that would come to Leticia to develop a discipleship training school. It was good to receive them here in Leticia during the difficult time of recuperation, but it soon became evident that their motives and desires were contrary to that of AFAMMS. God used them to help me to literally get back on my feet and to reinforce the purpose of why I am here in the Amazon.  After 3 months they decided to leave because the things of this world were more important than the souls of lost people.  I don’t blame them. At a glance, the missionary life looks glamorous until one has to practice depending on God for the everyday living.
The last week as that family was leaving my “daughter” came to stay with me with her boyfriend and their baby.  They had lost their place to stay and were on the street.  They were the help to help me get the house back in order after the family left.  We began discipleship classes, preparation for their wedding, and I prepared to go to the states to share with the churches about the termination of the discipleship training school project.  All the time my heart felt heavy because I was questioning God as to what was my purpose. I wanted to know if what I was doing here in Colombia was really necessary.
The most encouraging thing for me in the States was hearing testimonies from the missionaries that attended the mission conference in Maryland where I went to minister at the Peoples Community Baptist Church.  Yes, I shared, but God used these men and women of His to encourage a tired missionary.  I was not the only one who had projects that did not materialize.  What do you do? You get up pray and keep going.  As long as there are people who have not heard the good news that they can be reconciled to the Almighty Creator God and have an intimate relationship with Him, there is still a place for me. The work that is done on the “mission field” is not based on projects completed, but lives changed to the Glory of God and the Godly influence on those who would never know of Him if I had never come and sown His Word in a place where it had not been before planted.  God causes the growth!
So, here I am in Leticia, Amazonas Colombia. In October, I had surgery on my right ankle to correct the position of my foot in order to prepare me for the replacement of my other knee in the fall of 2018. Some say I will be the “bionic woman.” I say, “hallelujah!” The next 60 years of my life will be without pain and strong for the work of the Kingdom.  God has provided people to help me through the difficult time of convalescence and my English and music students have been able to train in my home.  I have seven students and have been able to present the gospel with each of them.  I am using the CEF wordless book.  Please keep these students in your prayers as they are not only learning music or English but also, more about the love of God.
This month of December I am continuing with my English and music students and recuperating.  The pastor who is my covering here in Leticia has given me this time for healing, but has shared with me his desire for me to work more closely with the Ministerio de Misiones Church in the areas of leadership training and the praise and worship team. Pastors Julio and Jenny Pacheco have a vision to reach and encourage the brethren that are located in the jungle that have less opportunity to receive what we experience in the city.  Pray that God will raise up teams that will be willing to travel to these remote areas to be an encouragement to the body of Christ.
Well, I have shared with you my year in review and future vision.  Keep praying! Keep giving! And, come visit as God leads you.  Have a Wonderful Holiday Season!!
Adventuring with Christ,
Min. Orchidy T Boyd
Exec. Dir. AFAMMS

1 comment: